Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Pre-Trip Countdown

Yesterday marked the day...that momentous day when you realize that you're suddenly doing things for the last time.

"Wow, this is the last time I'll fill my tank before I leave."

"Oh, I guess this is the last time I'll see these friends before I go."

So I guess this, and the big boxes amassing in my bedroom, mean that our trip to Oaxaca is finally imminent. In practical terms, what this means is that every moment has come to be what I call a "checkable" moment--checkable here meaning "able to check off of the insanely long to-do list" that I've quietly been building over the last month; otherwise, it's something that counts as a wasting of time. You see, the list is too long to be forgiving. Nonetheless, here I sit, ambivalently beginning the blog that I've promised to write, even as I know that it is not a checkable activity. Really, I'm not even sure I've identified a suitable voice to make this blog an interesting destination for the next four months. I just know it can't be a purely anthropological one, and it must include copious references to food, friends, family, and south-of-the-border fun. And yet, I begin.

Eight days to our departure to mole-land. And for the record, that's not "mole" land--as in a zoological reserve occupied by nocturnal, slightly freaky-looking mammals--but rather mole land, as in "the seven great wonders of the world--mole from Oaxaca" mole. After all, it's from the true mole-land of Oaxaca that the true adventures will unfold....stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment